Tamari Perrineau Palmer- June 26, 2019
Recently people all over the world have been changing their profile pictures blue, even celebrities… So what does it mean?
This color is bringing awareness to the mistreatment and murder happening in Sudan. Celebrities such as Rihanna, SZA, Naomi Campbell, Demi Lovato, and Cardi B have used their big social media presence to post In Solidarity For Sudan and continue the support to get help for the Sudanese people. This has taken social media over by painting Instagram, twitter, and Facebook blue for Sudan, and using the hashtag #SudanMassacre, #SudanUprising, and #PrayforSudanto get people’s attention to help.
Why is this happening?
There is a military crackdown in Sudan and protest and being killed in massive numbers according to The New York Times this attack is the deadliest. This started when the country’s dictator, Omar al-Bashir was forced out of his position and military forces detained him.
Who started it?
Remaz Abdelgader, a 25-year-old from Washington, DC who came across Mohammed Matter’s social media and saw the unique shade of blue for the profile picture of him and did research and found that it was started by the friends and family of the Martyrs. Matter’s favorite color was blue, which inspired the color.
What can you do?
- You can spread awareness by using the hashtag and changing your profile picture blue to spark more attention to Sudan.
- Ways to help:
- Tell your phone provided you want them to help people in Sudan.
- Sign the petition on Change.org
- Donate to the Gofundme campaign
- Campaigns on Facebook that are raising funds for food and medical needs for the people.
- Donating to save the children